In order to encourage and promote Japanese language education in Ireland, JLTI and the Embassy of Japan in Ireland jointly host an annual Japanese speech contest.
The 17th Japanese Speech Contest will be held on Saturday, 9 March 2019.
Reference: Judging Criteria
Application Deadline Secondary School Category (TY & LC1 Group): 11 February 2019 Secondary School Category (LC2 Group): 18 February 2019 General Category: 22 February 2019
Please note that each category has a different closing date.
Criteria for Participation
- Participants must not be Japanese native speakers and should be resident in Ireland for more than six months at the time of application
- (General Category): Participants cannot have lived in Japan for longer than 5 years in total.
- (Secondary School Category): Participants must be studying Japanese for the Leaving Certificate in Ireland, and may not have taken more than two weeks total of classes of Japanese in Japan.
- Neither participants themselves nor their immediate family members may be members of the JLTI.
- Past winners may not enter the same category.
- Participants should submit the application form and their speech script to the JLTI Committee by e-mail by the deadline.
Japanese Language Teachers of Ireland (JLTI) The Embassy of Japan
The Japan Foundation The Japan Business Society in Ireland Department of Education and Science
List of the winners available here.